Sunday, October 27, 2013

Spider Bite: A LIfe Story

Photo by Danielle Sarracino
A few weeks ago I got bit by a spider...or so I think. The truth is, it is very rare to get bitten by spiders and since venomous spiders are not common in this area the likely hood that it cause this infection is very slim. With this thought in mind I went on a search to figure out if I did in fact get bit by a spider or if it was just a bad infection.
Photo by Danielle Sarracino
When I saw this really large, round boil on my leg I was very confused because I had no idea where it could have possibly came from. My first thought was a bug bite and when I asked around that is what everyone else was telling me. I didn't think much of it until it started to get really hard to walk because of the pain that this bite was causing me.
Photo by Danielle Sarracino
This is when I finally went to the doctor. They said that it was most likely a bite, gave me antibiotics and told me to check back in a few days to see if it got any better. It didn't, I had to go to the hospital to get it drained and get it tested for MRSA. A few days later I went back to the hospital to get it checked on again and they told me that it was most likely an infection caused by a spider bite because the MRSA test came back negative. That was a huge relief and now I have this huge circular scar on my leg because of this.
Photo by Danielle Sarracino
There are many times that infections, like MRSA, and other insect bites get confused for spider bites. This makes people very skeptical about if the bite is truly a spider bite or not, at least that is what I witnessed when I was telling people what it was. I could not tell you what kind of spider bit me, but all I have to say is, if you think you might have an infection of any kind get it checked out because the repercussions of not getting it treated are worse than thinking it is nothing at all.

3 comments:

  1. I love this article. I am sorry it happened to you, but it's so interesting that something so little that most people see as a non-threat could cause so much, I guess damage. With the exception of black widow spiders, the only other spiders indiginous to upstate NY and Vermont area that are moderately poisonous and could actually cause harm to humans are yellow sac spiders. They are often found in plants in homes searching for prey. So watch out! http://www.natureswaypestcontrol.com/general-information/spiders/spiders-natures-way-pest-control/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bite that’d it looks like one of the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got bit, or si I think, four days ago. I have the same exact symptoms and now it hurts to walk. I do have some citronella anti biotic I started taking g last night and I'm putting newsprint on it. If it doesn't start getting better by tomorrow I'm going to urgent care

    ReplyDelete